The SMART Lab is open by appointment only. Reserve a spot online or call 703-993-7784 if you have any questions. No walk-ins are accepted. Click here for a flyer to download, print, or email about SMART Lab services.
How to make an appointment
Choose a date at https://smartlab.gmu.edu/clinic/book-now/. Click "Previous" or "Next" to get to the date and time you want to book and then click on "PW" (Science and Technology Campus) to select an available appointment time. After entering your name and email address, click on "Make a reservation."
Once you've reserved an appointment time, you'll receive a confirmation email from the SMART Lab. Payment for your service should then be made within 24 hours of receiving the confirmation email. You can pay for your service online with a credit card at https://smartlab.gmu.edu/payment. If you are having difficulties making the payment, please call 703-993-7784.
SMART Lab Service Policies
We appreciate that you familiarize with the SMART Lab policies. By placing an order for any of the SMART Lab services, you agree that you have read, understand and agree and fully accept the terms of our policies. At SMART Lab at Freedom Center we understand that your time is very valuable. We realize that occasionally unforeseen circumstances may necessitate the cancellation of a scheduled appointment.
Our policies are as follows:
SMART Lab services purchased as a gift are NON-refundable.
If you have not processed the payment within 48 hours (2 days) of your scheduled appointment, your appointment will be cancelled and you will receive an email with that information.
It is essential that you notify us at least 48 hours before your appointment if you are unable to attend. You can call us on 703-993-7784 or if you cannot reach us on the phone, you can send us an e-mail on email@example.com.
If you need to cancel your appointment within 48 hours (2 days) of the appointment, but re-schedule for another day/time, there is no penalty.
If you cancel at least 48 hours (2 days) in advance we will refund your payment. The refund is usually processed within 3 business days.
If you cancel within 48 hours (2 days) of your scheduled appointment, there will be no refund.
- Clients running late must notify the SMART Laboratory staff. Clients greater than 15 minutes late will be rescheduled.
All services purchased in advance are valid to use 2 years after the purchase date. After this time your purchase will expire and you will not be able to use the service anymore.
The "Track Your Progress" needs to be paid upfront, is non-refundable, and is valid for a maximum of 2 years. After this time your purchase will expire. For example, if you buy 4 visits for the BodPod on August 2015 the goal is that you use it within a year; however, the expiration date will be August 2017.
The "Track Your Progress" service is purchased in advance and is non-refundable. There will be no refunds or credits for partial months of service, or refunds for months unused. While we are flexible and want to assist you in achieving your goals, we appreciate your cooperation in respecting this policy.
Student discounts are available to currently enrolled full- or part-time students at George Mason University with proof of enrollment - a PDF copy of your Patriot Web schedule of the current semester, as well as the degree/program enrolled in. When in case of doubt the SMART Lab reserves the right to contact the Office of Registrar to confirm enrollment.
Discounts are not cumulative. For example, if you have a group of three people and want to do track your progress, you will have to choose which discount you prefer.
Health screening forms
Location and parking
The SMART Lab is located on the Science and Technology Campus of George Mason University at the Freedom Aquatic and Fitness Center, 9100 Freedom Center Blvd, Manassas, VA 20110. The SMART Lab is on the second floor in Room 217. Convenient and free parking is available outside the Freedom Center.
Upon arrival, check in at the Freedom Center's front desk. If you are running late, please notify the SMART Lab staff. If later than 15 minutes, the appointment will be rescheduled. Please bring a copy of your payment receipt with you to your appointment.
Frequently asked questions
- What should I wear?
The SMART Lab has a changing room for your convenience. Please wear comfortable workout clothing for the V02max Endurance Test. Note the following clothing requirements for the Bod Pod assessment and 3-D Gait Analysis:
- Bod Pod: Excess clothing can influence volume measurements, resulting in a less accurate body composition analysis. Minimal clothing during testing is recommended. Please come prepared with a swimsuit or other compression clothing (for example, Spandex shorts or sports bra) to wear while in the Bod Pod. You may wish to bring a robe or cover up for immediately before and after testing. We will provide you with a swim cap to cover your hair and will also request that you remove all jewelry, eyewear, and other accessories prior to testing.
- 3-D Gait Analysis: You'll need to wear black, non-reflective Spandex or running shorts (maximum length: 3 inch inseam), a black non-reflective sports bra, and your usual pair of running or workout shoes. Running shoes will not be provided.
- Resting Metabolic Rate: Proper attire for this assessment is comfortable clothing. Please avoid exercising within a day of the assessment, and eating or drinking anything (except water, avoid drinking cold water) 12 hours prior to the test. If possible, avoid the use of stimulants, such as caffeine, on the day of the test. Consult with a physician before skipping a dose of any prescribed stimulant. Over-the-counter antihistamines, caffeine & some herbal remedies should be avoided.
- Am I allowed to exercise on the day of, or prior to, testing?
In general, we recommend that you abstain from vigorous exercise for 12-24 hours prior to testing.
- How long must I wait after eating or drinking before testing?
It is not necessary to do an extended fast before any procedures, but please refrain from eating or drinking for at least two hours before coming in. Also avoid caffeine on the day of any body composition assessment.
- What is the difference between total fat mass, total fat-free mass, and percent body fat?
Fat mass is the absolute amount of body fat, measured in kilograms. Fat-free mass or lean mass is any tissue or part of the body that does not contain fat, such as skeletal muscle, bones, and water. Body fat percentage ratio is the total weight of fat compared to the total weight of the body.
- Do you accept health insurance?
Currently we do not accept insurance, but you may contact your provider directly to ask if they will reimburse you for SMART Lab services.
* * *
“I'm training for a race in March. I used the gait analysis because I was in pain all the time and wanted to know why and what to do about it.” - A.C.
“The Bod Pod assessment was quick and easy, and I got all my questions answered. It gives me a good reference point for setting my next level of goals.” - D.H.
“I want to thank you for a great job with my appointment yesterday. Your professionalism and relaxed atmosphere were truly fantastic.” - L.E.
“I loved my gait analysis experience today. Your demeanor was awesome. I felt comfortable talking to you.” - K.A.
“I thought it was a very nice experience and I learned valuable information. I think the report was a nice way to present the results in a manner that was easy for the layperson to understand.” - M.S.
“Overall very informative and well done.” - T.B.
“This is a valuable service to anyone that runs. Understanding how, separately and combined, my posture, functional assessment, and gait and running factors may be contributing to injury risk and performance was great. The explanation of the report was in great detail, and suggesting exercises was fundamental and useful.” - T.H.